Activated Alumina Properties
Activated Alumina are small white ball shaped solid desiccant manufactured form aluminium hydroxide row materials. The process of transforming aluminium hydroxide into a highly porous alumina happens through dehydroxylation of the former. This is done in a way so that a highly porous substance is produced. This substance holds a very high surface area to weight ratio as it is characterized by a huge number of tunnel-shaped pores.
The main function of Activated Alumina is that of a desiccant. What it mainly does is helps in keeping products dry by taking in or absorbing the moisture in the air around it. There are a number of products related to various industries that can be adversely affected or get perished if exposed to a lot of moisture. Hence, it is of high importance to remove the moisture from the air with the help of a high quality Solid Desiccant. Other functions served by the product include it acting as a filter for selenium, fluoride and arsenic in water.
There are a number of industries where the role of solid desiccants is paramount especially for the functions it provides. Some of these industries where the product is used widely are Mineral Water industry, Electronics Industry, Hardware Industry, Pharmaceutical Industry, etc. All these industries and many more use Activated Alumina as a desiccant on a regular basis for the many great functionalities it provided.
Activated Alumina Applications
- Drying of organic liquids as LPG, aromatics, and stream cracked liquids
- Purification of gases and liquids (removal of metallic traces, BF3, TBC, HCl, and HF)
- Air drying using Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) or Temperature Swing Adsorption (TSA)
- Instrument air, supersonic wind tunnel, compressed air
- Gas drying Air separation plants, inert and rare gases, Hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, CO2